On the 1st January 2000, the first of our hydro power stations was acquired.
Located on the grounds of Balgonie Castle on the River Leven in Glenrothes Fife, Balgonie Hydro was commissioned by refurbishing an old hydro power station. The station has two turbines with a combined capacity of 650kW which had been renovated after being first installed in 1922. The original turbines from 1922 are still operating to this day, but in renovating the site we had to install new electrical controls and protection. Upon commissioning the site, the electricity generated was supplied directly to the Tullis Russell papermill nearby, however since 2013, the generation has been supplied to the distribution network.
The turbine is fed by water from Loch Leven and generates 2,375 MWh per annum.